Wednesday, February 24, 2010

My Shoes Your World

A friend of mine on Facebook (and yes, she is a real friend, not just a social networking friend) recently sent me an invitation to join a group called My Shoes Your World. The purpose of this group is to let someone and yourself "walk a mile" in someone else's shoes. They encourage members of the group to exchange shoes, then spend the day walking in the other person's shoes, and document it through comments and photos on Facebook. I thought this was an interesting idea, so I joined.

Then I really started to think about it. In a way, I am already walking in someone else's shoes. In fact, I am walking in several people's shoes right now. If you are a friend of mine of Facebook, then you may already know that we are building a new home. We are not moving far, just a few streets over. But as a real estate agent, I am now experiencing what my clients go through every day.

We have been in our current home for eight years. I am a "nester." Moving to a new home every two or three years is just not my cup of tea, even though that's the business I am in. And since it has been so long since we have had to sell a home and completely build another one, I had forgotten how hard and time consuming, and let's not forget stressful, it can be.

Keeping a home in market ready condition, especially with two small children and a cat, is very difficult. It takes a lot of work and coordination on everyone's part. And building a new home just adds to the stress. The builder keeps apologizing for calling me and asking me to make another decision, but that's his job, and he is doing a great one at that. Let's just say that I have a renewed respect for all my current and past buyers and sellers. And to the Houghtlin's, my hat is off! They sold two homes and bought a new home (to combine their newly blended family) at one time. And it all happened in a matter of 60 days. I cannot imagine throwing another piece into this puzzle.

So walking a mile in someone's shoes? I'm doing that now. And what a great learning experience it is!

If you are interested in joining this group, just go to my page on Facebook: www.Facebook.com/LisaColemanRealtor and you can find the link there.

No comments: